A beautifully made leather jacket could be one of the most versatile pieces you’ll ever own. You can dress it up or down, wear it in pretty much any season and it’ll never go out of fashion – I mean, they don’t call it a wardrobe staple for nothing! Here’s why a leather jacket can be an investment that will last you for years to come – and how you can find the perfect one.
Wear it with Everything
A leather jacket isn’t just for bikers – it’s a very versatile piece that’s suitable to wear in any season. Throw a hoody under one in the winter, wear it with a summer dress and wellies if you’re heading to a summer festival, or pair it with jeans in the autumn or spring. With a leather jacket, you can enjoy timeless style. Not convinced? Men – think about James Dean, Danny from Grease, Elvis Presley and the Ramones. All of them owned their look and their distinctive style was centred on their leather jackets. Women, you can channel your inner Alexa Chung, rock n roll queen Joan Jett, Katniss from the Hunger Games or even rock a white leather jacket like DI Alex Drake in Ashes to Ashes.
It’s a wardrobe staple that keeps on giving!
Choosing the Finer Details
There are so many different variations and styles of leather jacket that you can choose, whether you need a classic number to wear when riding your motorcycle or a brightly coloured one to make a fashion statement.
To find the perfect leather jacket for you, consider the details. Think about:
- The type of leather – a soft leather may be better for the summer and a stiff leather jacket with lining will probably be better suited for the colder months.
- Length – this depends on your body shape and your typical style. If you wear dresses quite often, a cropped jacket can be very flattering. But if you tend to wear jeans, one that ends on the hips might be the best wardrobe staple for you.
- Collar – something like a drape, shearling or fur can look great but also go out of fashion. A classic lapel or no collar at all will be timeless, as well as adding a classic finishing touch.
- The cut – a tapered jacket can have a more structured and grown-up shape whereas folds in the back give it a more biker style.
- Extras – too many zippers, padding and striking lining can date a jacket.
Give it Some TLC
When you know how to look after your leather jacket properly, you’ll find that it will last you for years. Which is lucky because once you’ve found the perfect one, you’ll never want to give it up!
Here are a few tips on how to make your favourite leather jacket last a lifetime:
- Hang it on a padded clothes hanger to minimise wrinkles and stretching
- If it’s been stored for a while, dust the jacket with a gentle brush or cloth
- Use leather protector or leather waterproofing products
- Occasionally apply leather conditioner
- Test whether you can clean the leather with a damp cloth. Add a single drop of water – if it stays on the surface then it’s fine to wipe with a slightly damp cloth. If the leather darkens, do not use water on it.
If you’ve been on the fence about investing in a leather jacket, it could be a decision that you won’t regret. With proper care and attention, your favourite jacket could last you a lifetime. Plus, you can wear it anytime and anywhere – which is well worth paying for!